Chaturmukha Basadi

 

Chaturmukha Basadi was built in 1432 during the reign of Jain king, Vir Pandyadeva. The Basadi was named as Chaturmukha Basadi because of four identical doorways which points four directions and all doorways lead to the Garbhagriha.

The Chaturmukha Basadi has 108 pillars with pillars on four sides of the entrance. The Basadi is constructed in the form of four faced hall, the roof of the basadi is flat with very big granite slabs. The Garbhagriha houses the idols of the Yakshi Padmavati and 24th Thirthankara, in addition to the standing idols of Malli, Suryata and Ara.

This Basadi is one of the most popular and attractive Basadis of Karkala. Nice place to offer prayer and to perform peaceful meditation. This monument is protected by Archaeological Survey of India.
Basadi= Temple

Leave a Reply